Singapore I Main
Wagyu Beef Rendang by Candlenut Singapore
The world’s first Michelin-starred Peranakan restaurant, Candlenut takes a contemporary yet authentic approach to traditional Straits-Chinese cuisine.
The Westholme Wagyu Beef Rendang is a particular standout, full of flavour that typifies the very best of Peranakan cuisine. We are in luck as Chef Malcom Lee kindly shares the recipe for this scrumptious dish!
Wagyu Beef Rendang
- 500 gr Beef short rubs, cut into 5cm chunks
- 60 gr Shallots, peeled
- 20 gr Garlic cloves, peeled
- 60 gr Big red chillies, stems removed
- 15 gr Galangal, peeled
- 5 gr Ginger, peeled
- 3 gr Candlenut
- 1 stalk Lemongrass, white portion
- 3 Kaffir Lime Leaf
- 1 Tumeric Leaf
- 400 ml Fresh Coconut Milk
- 35 ml Kerisik
- 1.25 gr Dry Rendang Spices
- Blend all ingredients in Set A, except for the beef short ribs, in a food processor until a rough mixture is formed.
- Place mixture into a big pot and add the coconut milk before bringing it to a boil.
- Add the beef and the Set B ingredients to the pot.
- Simmer over a medium-low heat for two hours, stirring at intervals.
- Allow the mixture to slowly brown. At this point, add the ingredients in Set C.
- Mix well over continuous low heat, frying till the Rendang gravy has caramelised.
- Serve with rice and a vegetable dish