Crayfish and Lemon Risotto by Salted and Hung
Growing up on his family’s farm in Australia, Chef Drew Nocente lived a childhood that was constantly surrounded by the wonders of fresh produce. Little went to waste here and he continues to build a sustainable kitchen at his restaurant Salted and Hung in Singapore.
Today he shares with us a delicious, creamy Crayfish, Lemon Risotto recipe to recreate at home.
The punchy essence from the crab shells used in the risotto are drawn out to create a savoury broth. Little goes to waste on this menu, showcasing Drew’s philosophy of getting the most out of every ingredient.
Crayfish & Lemon Risotto
- 30 g Lemon Skin, Thinly Sliced
- 100 g Caranoli Rice
- 10 g Diced Shallot
- 5 ml White Wine
- 5 ml Lemon Juice
- 100 ml Fish Stock
- 20 g Mascarpone
- 8 g Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 5 g Butter
- 5 g Chives, chopped
- Sauté shallots on a large pan with a touch of oil over medium heat.
- Add lemon skin & rice, sauté.
- Add white wine & lemon juice, allow it to reduce.
- Add small amounts of fish stock at a time and allow rice to slow cook. Continueadding stock until rice is cooked and liquid is 3/4 reduced.
- Add mascarpone & parmesan and cook till a nice consistency.
- Remove from heat, fold in the butter and chives.
- While the risotto is cooking, heat a frying pan on med-high heat.
- Remove the shell from the crayfish and gently score the inside of the flesh.
- Lightly season with sea salt.
- Gently cook the crayfish in the pan just before the risotto is ready.
- Rest for 1 min while plating up the risotto
- Finish off the dish with the essence
- 1 kg Crayfish Shells
- 60 g Red Wine
- 1 Brown Onion
- 1 Stick Celery
- 15 g White Peppercorn
- 15 g Coriander Seeds
- 6 pcs Star Anise
- 20 g Tomato Paste
- 100 ml Brandy
- 200 ml Cream
- 300 ml Fish Stock
- 300 ml Beef Stock
- 20 ml Lemon Juice
- Roast crayfish shell in 200 degrees Celsius oven for 25min.
- While shells are roasting, pre-heat a large pot with a 1 tbsp of oil. Add allvegetables and spices, cook to a nice caramel colour.
- Add the roasted shells.
- Add the brandy and reduce by 1/2
- Add the wine and allow it to reduce.
- Add the cream and reduce till thicken.
- Add the stocks and simmer for 3 hrs.
- Strain the essence
- Add lemon juice and season with salt to taste, let cool.